cassianeaves

Cassian's Bookshelf

I like reading sci-fi, and fantasy books.

Matched (Matched Trilogy Series #1)

Matched (Matched Trilogy Series #1) - I first heard of this book when people were talking about the seven figure deal Ally Condie got for this three book series. I was mildly intrigued since a book has to be good to warrant that kind of money.This book does not live up to that price. I found this book boring, nothing about this book is engaging. I felt like I was on auto-pilot, stopping briefly to wonder when this book was going to end.Matched takes a lot of points from The Giver (euthanasia of the elderly, population control via arranged marriages, information control, the tablets) and 1984 (officials are always watching you, harboring rebellious material, a forbidden relationship between two different social classes), but does little to set itself apart when either of these books. If you were to take away the dystopian society all you wonder have is a dull romance attempting to be interesting since one of the parties is a social pariah. What Matched does to try to set itself apart from other dystopian novels is to forbid artistic creation. While literature and art are archived, individuals are only allowed to see a set number. Cassia and Ky defy this rule because they have knowledge of poems the Society does not want them to see. In addition, they write these poems down, which is another forbidden practice. Unlike 1984, I never feel dread for either of these characters. I felt indifferent, like I did for most of this book. When I did feel fear, it was brief. The consequences are just as disappointing as the world building.The characters are dull. I did not feel anything for most of them. I felt for Cassia’s parents because bad things just kept happening to them. I felt like they were the victims in this story, not Cassia and Ky. The main characters seem like vehicles for the story. There was nothing unique about any of them to me; they’re just as derivative as the story itself. The minor characters feel like they’re part of the background. While I do feel for her parents, they are just there to be Cassia’s parents. The reader only sees them when they have some bearing on Cassia’s story. Her father does something that sets off a chain reaction to events that drive Cassia and Ky together. Her mother makes a mistake that causes them to be moved to another Province at the end of the novel. The only reason being to set the stage for the next bookKy is the so called bad boy of the story while Xander exists to be his foil. Ky is a social outcast, while Xander is an upstanding member of society. Cassia is the typical YA romance heroine. She very little personality aside from her ability and forbidden poems. The reader is told she has a natural sorting ability, which I do not understand. She’s placed in a situation outside of her control that forces her to choose between two guys. The reader is lead to believe Cassia can choice to rebel against or accept her place in Society. The problem is her choice does not change her. I do not see how writing poems and sitting around thinking about how to save Ky is an act of rebellion. She was doing that for the majority of the story. I understand this is a three book story, but a character’s journey should start in the first book. If done properly Cassia’s story could probably be one book instead of three. I should not feel I have to read more for a character journey to take place.This book is like the majority of the YA books out there. It tries to have a plot, but it fails. The only plot of this book is the romance. While the Society is supposed to be seen as evil because of their manipulations they only serve to add the forbidden angle to Cassia and Ky’s relationship. They classify Ky as an Aberration, they manipulate both of them for an experiment, they control everyone’s lives, and send Ky to war. There’s offhand mentions of a war going on outside the Society’s territory, but it feels like they were thrown in to 1) put Ky on a bus to remove him from the story and 2) make the reader think there is something going on in the world aside from the romance. I suppose the war will play a bigger part in the next book because of Ky. Let’s ignore the bigger picture because of a couple of teenagers cannot be together.Unlike other YA romances like Crescendo there is nothing creepy or codependent about the romance, its just dull. I never felt the book was telling me you are nothing without your significant other or its okay for your boyfriend/girlfriend to treat you like crap because he/she loves you. There is the twu luv element since I cannot think of any reason why Cassia and Ky love each other. They don't feel like they have any chemistry to me.Overall, this book is trying to hard in all aspects. I know this a debut novel, but that’s no excuse. There are not enough questions at the end of this book to encourage me to read on other then my compulsion to complete a series.